Coming from the North of France, the guys of SCARVENGER aren't newcomers in the extreme metal scene as they've played extreme metal for years in other formations such as KROMADEATH. I saw them live two times and it's a fucking shame they haven't got more recognition for now. A demo is in the work. Here is an interview for you to know more about this good old school Death/ Heavy/ Thrash band.
1. Can you do a little introduction to the band?
I formed SCARVENGER in October 2000 with my childhood friend Stéphane I know since 25 years, he plays the drums. We started composing several tracks, and we did our first gig in June 2001 while the band was composed of two members only. I must say peoples were quite skeptics when they saw only two guys on stage, but at the end of the show and according to their reactions, they weren’t anymore. In a way we had won a credibility, even if we were only two guys, and it was really a pleasure. I told myself something really had to be done for the TRUE metal scene.
2. Where does the SCARVENGER name comes from? There’s maybe a link with the DEATH’s "Scarvenger of human sorrow" track?
When this marvelous album was released, I was screaming «
Scarvenger » all the time. I thought it could kill for a band’s
name. I’ve modified it for SCARVENGER for a personal reason.
2. How would you define your musical style ? What are your influences? I saw the band live for the music celebration in Douai (a national French fest during which everybody can play music in the streets – Gab) and I’d say you play a technical Death metal influenced by Death ( in particular for the bass parts) and by the Death/ Thrash scene of the 90's.
Musically speaking, it’s a mix of all what we enjoy since a long time. I mean Heavy metal with Black Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, King Diamond, Ozzy, Thrash metal with SLAYER (of course), Kreator, CORONER, ANTHRAX (Stef and I are both big fans, can’t wait for their new album), old SEPULTURA releases. Fucking shit, there are so many ones I must stop here… and of course the Death metal style with unfortunately DEATH (R.I.P CHUCK !), CARCASS, PESTILENCE, and there are also a lot of bands in this style!
Sometimes, peoples tell us we sound like DEATH, and it’s really a fucking compliment. In every ways we play to please ourselves, we doesn’t give a shit about the rest. As long as we’ll find places to play live, we’ll be there and we’ll give the best of ourselves, and we’ll drink some LEFFE (traditional French beer - Gab) after the show with the peoples who’ll be there.
3. Your guitarist called Ch'blond have been playing in KROMADEATH and DAZED, how did the style evolve ? While it was a more classical and quite near of OBITUARY Death metal with KROMADEATH, the style is quite different now.
lucky with KHROMADEATH, we were really motivated as hell and it
didn’t work. But the contact of these guys who are really good men
made me able to keep on working on my music, Not to give up after
11 years of musical troubles.
About the second band in your question, I don’t want to hear about it anymore, I’m not a fucking nu metal guy. I show respect for TRUE METAL.
4. What’s your opinion about the French extreme metal scene ?
This is the
total nonsense with all these bands that mix everything’s with metal.
They want to make the style evolve and the opposite occurs. In any
case, they’ll split up one day or another, they’ve got no identity,
6. I’ve heard somebody said you had a CD recorded. In fact, I didn’t hear much about it, do you consider it as a demo so that you don’t promote it much, or is it due to a lack of time or money ?
No, it’s false.
We’re only going to record a demo in October. There are probably
going to be 4 tracks included.
For an eventual album, the label will have to put some money for the recording/ pressing as we certainly won’t. If the label guy believes in our music, he’ll have to work on the band, fuck this shit, I’ve given enough in the past !
7. Do you surf on the web ? It’s rather a good way for promoting a band, are you going to build a website for SCARVENGER ?
Stef has just bought a PC and he’s going to work on the site, I haven’t got the time to take care of it. But we’ll have a website, that’s for sure.
8. I know some members of the band know well the guys of DISGUST, and this since a long time. Can you give us a few anecdotes about some delirias you’d have had together ?
We’ve drunk some millions of beer liters together, so for the anecdotes, I should write a book about it, I’ll do it when I’ll be older. It’ll be like the bible of a fucking metaller, yeah, with some fucking bizarre and frightening things AH AH !
9. You’ve played gigs in The Virtuel (A Belgian metal discotheque / place for gigs) with BYATIS and GERBE OF LIFE. What’s your opinion about The Virtuel’s closing ? Was it a good place to play live?
It was a rather good place, but I always here a lot of fools complaining about the fact there is no place to move on and to headbang/ mosh. Fucking shit, peoples won’t build a metal discotheque for you in front of your house. And it’s the same for the gigs. They prefer to stay at home, drinking shit beers like « desperados » and smoking stuffs, what a passionating life.
I really feel
sorry for the new generation. About 10 years ago, we could move
on 3 or 4 different places in the same metal night, and it was only
in metal discotheques. Hell, during the discotheques’ comebacks
we’ve crushed a lot of cars because we were so drunk…
10. How did you feel about Chuck Shuldiner’s death? I read some metal zines that literally spit on DEATH’s music because it wasn’t brutal enough. What would you say to the writer of the zine if you crossed his path ?
It made me
cry, I couldn’t believe it. Shit, the U.S.A, the richer country
on the earth, and they didn’t succeed in saving his life. It’s true
there are no Social Security cover in the states, to the contrary
of countries like France, but it’s anyway afflicting.
About the peoples who spit on him, they must follow the path of their speeches, I mean ININTERESTING and completely deprived of capacity of reflection.
11. I know you’re listening to metal since a good amount of time. How do you see the evolution of the metal scene? What’s your opinion about Porno/gore/grind/noise bands such as Gronibard, Sylvester Staline, The bitch project and some others that are more and more numerous?
If these bands want to mix the metal style with other things, they should throw away the « Metal » word when they introduce the style they play. One shouldn’t do bullshits or nonsenses, it’s a musical style that’s near of 40 years of existence and it deserves RESPECT. This isn’t because there is a little saturated guitar in a band that the group becomes a metal band, it’s too generalist, too easy also. All the more, when peoples tell me or when I hear BLACK SABBATH is obsolete, fucking bullshit, THEY ARE THE METAL CREATORS, without them these little cock suckers would be nothing at all.
In the life,
one should recognize things for what it is and one should RESPECT
all the work that was done in the past by the older bands.
12. What are your future projects?
We’ll do as many gigs as possible and as I said before we’ll record a fucking demo that’s deeply important for STEF and I. Then we’ll see what happens. We only know we’ll put all our energy in what we’ll do.
13. These last words are yours, would you like to add something?
words ? Fucking shit, I will die one time more AH AH !