OLD SCHOOL DEATH/ FRANCE
1. Hello! TORTURE THRONE is a new French Death metal band that’s currently totally unknown, so a little introduction to the band, its past misdeeds and macabre motivations would be good…
So here is a little introduction: TORTURE THRONE, it’s a traditional
Death metal band from Le Havre, it was created in 2009 and we are
4 individuals: Guillaume (bass Vox) / Damien (lead guitar lead)
/ Xavier (rhythm guitar) and myself, Fabrice, behind the drums.
2. Your band name, Torture Throne, reminds me a lot the Americans of INCANTATION, with a black metal touch… Is this feeling of a similar sonority volunteer, in a way it would be a kind of homage, or are the reasons hiding behind these words different ?
We always liked
quite extreme band names and your reference to INCANTATION is right…
« Mortal Throne of Nazarene » is one of our fave Death metal albums!!!
3. At the level of your influences, one can feel Swedish Death metal bands of the 90’s such as the old DISMEMBER, GRAVE, a bit of ASPHYX ("Last one on earth"), as well as some German bands who were deeply in the Swedish Death revival few years ago, but sometimes I also hear a bit of old Finnish Death, or a bit of INCANTATION… So tell us a bit more about the key records that strongly branded the music of TORTURE THRONE, the influences you claim as well as those to be less obvious…
Ah Ah Ah!!
Well I see our influences transpire through the Ep. So, in fact
we are mainly influenced by the Swedish scene of the 90’s
(Entombed / Grave / Dismember / Nirvana 2002 / first Tiamat etc),
the old occult bands (Grotesque, Crucifier, Imprecation), the Finnish
scene (Vorum, Maveth) and obviously the evil « American » scene
(Incantation, Sadistic Intent and more).
4. I find your music doesn’t sound very French… French bands quite often have gimmicks, or ways of composing, that can sound like « Old brutal death » for example (I will quote only this one, because it’s not necessarily clearly definable), but it’s not your case : Your demo could have been recorded by Germans of even squarely Swedish guys (But I would maybe choose the Germans, for a bit more conservative, tight and « massive » approach). Was it a conscious choice to eradicate any influence from your home country? (Camembert metal, it’s not too good?). When you compose Death metal, is the inspiration coming from everyday’s life, or are the sources deeper and more obscure ? Speaking about it, what’s your opinion about Death metal in France right now… Are there bands to please your tastes or are you rather uninterested?
Well one more
time, our goal is to sound as Swedish as possible… And especially
not Brutal death (Even if there are good bands, and even some to
mix the Swedish and brutal genres!!!)… We really like Death metal
5. Your guitar sound is very close to the old Swedish one… Which hardware do you use? Is a Boss pedal enough, or did you need a little something more, something like an IPHONE plugged between the guitar and the amp, with the « Skogsberg Emulator V2 » App at full regime ? AhAh.
We worked on the sound in Cubase (Damien masters this tool quite well) inspiring ourselves from the olds: JCM 800 emulator and Boss Heavy metal emulator all the way!!! During rehearsals Damien works on Pod Xlive and Xavier uses an Hypermetal Boss pedal… We still need to improve the sound… But during rehearsals it tastes as if we were in the 90’s in a little filthy place from Le Havre!!!
6. While your line up counts a drummer, the drum parts from your demo sounds like a machine… Did you use a drum-machine for reasons of recording facilities, maybe your drummer was too drunk, or there weren’t enough microphones to record everything?
a bit of all this… In fact we did drum takes at home with few microphones…
It was edited in Cubase. We wanted a very tight rhythm section to
have a real effect of power. For the future album, we should anyway
record the drum parts in a studio to recover a totally authentic
7. The cover of this demo contains no illustration, only the logo and the title… Was it a choice of sobriety? For the next recording, if you had the funds which kind of graphism and universe could we see and which illustrator would you choose? You can answer this question two times: First taking your funds in account, second imagining you would have no financial limits ;-)
of sobriety is deliberate so that it even more fits the concept.
It’s also a reference to the tape demos, with xeroxed covers, we
could see when we were teenagers (Aaaah, tape trading!!!)… Then
there are details from the past we always liked: No photos on the
second demo of «Mutilated » or on the first Cannibal Corpse album
8. Your demo was released on OLD DEATH IS REAL Records. Can you tell us a bit more about this enterprise of cadaver traffic? If I got it well, it’s your own label…
ODIR (Old Death Is Real !!) is in fact our association… We begin
with the help of a few passionate guys who choose to make it a real
underground label, in the worthy meaning of the word. We have as
a project to release and distribute small bands, and maybe to organize
true Death metal/ black metal gigs in Normandy, without too big
claims… We are really conscious Death metal isn’t fashionable compared
9. We will now have a closer look at your lyrics… What does it deal with? Is it rather based on a kind of obscure spiritual? Can you develop a bit the idea of the cult of the serpent? It doesn’t evoke very precise things in my mind (Expect from remembrances of the first CONAN THE BARBARIAN movie where statues of serpents were quite cool! But I don’t think there’s a link)
Our lyrics essentially deal with occultism… Wide subject… For the Ep, our texts speak about the really black side of the human being that always takes over any desire to obey and respect « It’s creator »… As we explained before, the cult of the serpent refers to the serpent’s symbol in the old testament. For some theologians it would be the incarnation of evil, or even Satan himself. It also refers to many pagan myths that glorified some animal species, and so rejected God… Nothing to do with Conan the Barbarian !!
10. As old school Death metal comes back, more and more ancient sounding albums are released… What are your favorite records released in 2010 and 2011? Maybe you can also speak about your favorite demos that came out recently?
follow the « old school » sounding and filthy Death metal bands.
It’s a bit in the vein of Ibex Moon or Blood Harvest for example.
We also like well the new bands playing the old Swedish style!!!
11. Do you listen to other kinds of music apart from metal ? Do you think it could influence yourselves, a good are less good way, when composing your own songs?
We listen to
quite a lot of classical music, some contemporary (Celsi Bartok
Schnittke etc) and some Dbeat Crust (And other Kangpunk!! It remains
Swedish brutal stuffs!!!)
12. What could we find at the foot of the torture throne?
ds!!! Always music with a lot of atmospheres!!!
Death, desolation, lie and hypocrisy. All that makes man a deeply nasty being!!! But especially some big crushing DEATH METALLLLLLL!!
13. Tell us more about your forthcoming projects, and all the reader needs to know before reading your last words…
As said before,
we will release a French « true » Death metal compilation with ODIR,
it will be downloadable for free… If bands recognize themselves
in the speech, they should contact us… Spots are still available!!!
We have the agreement of quite some very cool French bands and there
will be an unreleased Torture Throne song inside.