DOOM FROM COSTA RICA
spawned in the year 2005 when two friends keyrotten (drums) and
me “tomil” (bass and vocals then) wanted to create an old school
black/death/doom metal band (influenced by early SAMAEL and HELLHAMMER)
and with the help of other 2 guys we started to rehearse once in
a week and in a few rehearsals we create 2 original songs (which
never got recorded) and a couple of covers "SODOM´s outbreak
of evil" and "VENOM´s in league with Satan”. This
period lasted one or two years maybe, but then inner conflicts within
the band forced us to stop playing and all the efforts done were
buried and forgotten.
2. At the first approach I thought your music was quite influenced by old AUTOPSY, but the more I listened the more I found some early GRAVE (First two albums) mixed with some "regular" Swedeath and some traditional death doom.... Can you tell us more about your morbid influences and what matters for the compositions of Pazuzu?
Hails to almighty Autopsy, sure it is one of our biggest influence (what would this world be without fucking mental funeral??? a world of shit!!!!) also and as you describe we are a lot into Swedish death metal, there are so many bands to mention but sure Crypt of kerberos(demos), Eternal darkness, Grave, Nihilist, Edge of sanity and many more, … But also we are a lot into US death metal, Brazilian death metal etc….
3. I like the way you inject influences from early English doom (death) in your music... Are you more interested in early PARADISE LOST, old MY DYING BRIDE or early ANATHEMA?
I didn’t talk
about this in question #2 because I saw this question!! Off course,
we are all fiends for blood of those bands you talked about, but
exclusively in their first records/demos. And if there is a band
from Uk's death/doom that I can put as our biggest influence it
would be the mighty beast called DECOMPOSED (everything they did,
is just perfect!!! Theres no other band as perfect and brutal in
UKs DD), if you don’t know what the fuck Im talking about, go and
blast at full volume “Hope finally died” and you will agree with
One of the
guys who answered my mails requesting trades for our first demo
“revenant of blasphemies”, was some sicko offering only material
from Throneum, obviously I asked him if he was a member of the band
or what? He told me he was “The great executor” former member of
that band, when he received the demo; he gave me a great review
from our material and kept our communication on and on. I asked
him if he was interested on a split album with us and he fucking
agreed immediately, so we started our work…
5. The improvement in the production is impressive compared to your first demo, the songs on the split tape/ CD have a more powerful and obscure production that fits! What were the differences in the recording? Perhaps the first demo was home-made while you went to a real studio for the newer songs?
Thanks for those words mate!, well actually both recordings were done by me but in 2 different locations (specially drums), the recording of the split was made 100% in my home studio (which I named Grotesque studios) and its partly mixed and fully mastered by a friend who owns a way better studio than mine, obviously we were always taking care of all details about the final result, we wanted to have a better, clearer sound but keeping it as dirty, filthy and raw as possible, I think we did good with this material but also I personally love that putrid demo sound on revenant of blasphemies (our demo)
6. Could we say there is a place for spirituality in the music of PAZUZU, or it's mostly about brutality?
Pazuzu its about brutality, horror and blasphemy.
7. If Pazuzu wasn't a deity, but an animal, what could it be?
Haha, Pazuzu it’s what it is, I can’t imagine anything else….
Well, we have
our bandcamp, isn’t that enough?...
9. What does Death metal mean for you?
Death metal is everything in our lives, it’s an obsession, we listen to this type of music every day, I think it’s the greatest excuse to wake up and say fukk I’m alive…I will listen to that record..!
10. What does life metal mean for you?
means nothing to me….Only death is real.
I think you
really got inspired for this one (haha)...
12. What could the European metallers learn from Costa Rica on a musical, and non-musical point of view? Is there a good metal scene in your country and which bands could you advice to peoples interested in old death metal and old school metal? Culturally speaking, I imagine Costa Rica has the same roots than many countries in South America, or perhaps I am wrong? How do you say "death doom" and "death metal" when speaking with local metallers, do you use English or Spanish words?
is a very small country but a nice place to visit, many beaches
(and bitches), volcanos, waterfalls, mountains, nature in costa
rica is the greatest thing to talk about. Google it lazy fuckers…
13. If the 4 musicians of Pazuzu could spend a hot torrid night with Madonna, Beyoncé, Lady Gaga or Rihanna, which would you choose (To fuck) and why?
Tomil: I don’t give a fuck about those whores, bring me Mia Khalifa…everyone knows why!
Keyrotten: I would fuck the one that dies 1st, fucking dead bitch!!
Steven: If I have to choose, I will go with rihanna, but those bitches suck! fuck them
Giovani: He doesn’t care!
14. I see you will release a split 7 Ep with Morbid Perversion, can you tell us more about it? What are your other morbid plans?
yeah, we are just waiting for the 7”s to arrive, everything is ready
now (test pressings approved already), I think this is the sickest
version of Pazuzu (a fucking brutal track of 6 minutes), also morbid
perversion did something totally twisted and grotesque, this 7”
split name is “darkest abominations” and will have 3 versions: 7”
black vinyl limited to 300 copies released by psychogrind Recs/Osculum
Cruentum Recs(CR); pro tape limited to 150 copies released by fukk
records (Poland); and a very limited pro tape limited to 66 copies
on Primitivo Records(Brazil).