1. Hello! Can you introduce yourself and your metallic tastes?
Hello ! I am a fan of extreme metal for over 20 years, with an emphasis on death metal, thrash metal and doom metal, I don't like modern shit as metalcore, deathcore, numetal. However music is my greatest Passion since the end of the 80's and the 90's. I am searching for forgotten bands from those years and I am collecting their tracks. I also appreciate young bands who are playing my beloved oldschool sound.
Apart from that, other passions of mine are horror movies, particularly the ones of the 80's and 90's, films of L. Fulci, D. Argento, J. d'Amato... Generally the blood, violence and sex in large doses are something I like in films.
2. Now please introduce your blog in a few words... And talk about your metallic past: Is this your first underground activity, or where you involved in other metal stuffs before? Maybe you used to do a fanzine, a distro, or something else...?
blog is dedicated to bands and releases issued from the year 2000
until this time. At the beginning it was created as a supplement
to another of my blog (Raf666underground) which publishes various
vomits from underground from the 80's and 90's.
3. What motivated you to create a blog, instead of a webzine or a distro for example? Is this only because running a blog isnít too hard, or are there more reasons?
I already explained
for ModernSoundsof Death, I posted materials of metal bands I like
and were hard to find at the time. Now I am adding releases of less
well-known metal groups who didn't send their demo or album to me.
4. The description of your blog says "Dedicated to demos, EPs released after 2000 year". Why don't you publish records released before the new century... Is it because you wish to support active underground bands, and so the older records aren't so useful, or there's another reason? Maybe there were already too much blogs focusing on old 80's stuffs?
To publish stuff released before the year 2000, I have my second blog Raf666underground, it is dedicated to older records, there it's possible to find a lot of rare demos, ep's, from the 80's, and particularly from my favorite years, the 90's. The majority of these bands ceased to exist a long time ago, so there is a possibility of dusting many forgotten releases. On ModernSoundsofDeath, the bands are in majority only starting. You are right there are quite a lot of blogs with music from the 80's and 90's. Some are really worthy: Lockjaw, Asmodian Coven, Death Eternal Metal, Sempiternal Esoterica and a few others.
5. How many records do you upload every months, and are there specific kinds of metal? Maybe you prefer to upload formats such as tapes, CDrs, or there's no particular favorite?
I try to upload about 30 - 40 releases, mainly death, black, thrash
metal, with some doom/gothic metal. But there are also bands playing
industrial or dark ambient.
6. Are the downloads quite good? Are you satisfied with the amount of times peoples download records from your blog, and are there "best sellers"? (In this case, a little top 5 could be nice). Could you tell us the average amount of downloads for a release?
of downloads vary from a release to another, some bands were taken
over 500 times. Personally I am satisfied that metalheads appreciate
young bands. The Average amount is about 100 downloads for a release.
7. How do you promote your blog? Is there a specific way to inform peoples about it, such as link trades, spams, forums flooding... Or maybe search engines take a very important place?
I am promoting
the blog mainly through link trades, with friendly blogs. I am not
spamming, I detest the spams, unnecessary shit.
8. What are your favorite things with running a blog? What's the best thing with being a blogmaster?
new bands for the blog is the best, in the abyss of the Internet
it's possible to find a lot of unknown pearls, for me this is about
5-6 hours of entertainment every day. Apart from that I got to know
many cool metalheads from the entire world.
9. What are the worse aspects of running a blog? Don't tell me there are none, each metal activity has it's drawbacks, so we might be interested in reading yours... (Maybe it's the fact you don't receive many feedbacks from peoples who download? Maybe many peoples only "Take this, and this, and that" but never send "something" in return...?)
There are many
positive reactions, very much, I often get mails from users as well
as from bands who are pleased with this form of promotion. But of
course negative reactions are also happening; Being accused of stealing
links from other blogs (It is a nonsense, I never stole links from
other forums/ sites without information about this), problems
with hosting sites (One Polish hosting service was closed, and I
had to reupload 50 links), sometimes bands want their albums to
be removed (Of course I'm doing it).
10. Did you already receive messages from bands who asked you to remove their music from your blog, and how did it happen? Were you already menaced by labels or enterprises who don't want specific bands to appear on mp3 blogs?
Yes, it is happening, but very rarely (Perhaps 6 whether 7 times). For example bands who planned re-editions of their releases usually wanted it to be removed from download. Of course I always obey their laws, it's their music. The majority of stuff I upload are in low circulation, sometimes already unavailable in sales. No, I never had problems from labels yet. What happens the more often is peoples mailing me to find a band's music, or to send more infos about bands and other releases.
11. Do you regret the time of paper fanzines, or do you think blogs are as good and efficient? Did you ever think about posting your own reviews/ interviews on a blog, or it's not really your thing?
that paper fanzines will never die! In Poland there are still a
lot of fanzines appearing, for example APOCALYPTIC RITES ZINE, NECROSCOPE,
R'YLEH, Demented Omen Of Masochism Zine, DEATHICISM zine, TRIBAL
CONVICTIONS zine and much more. For some time I am collecting scans
of old and newer fanzines, I upload many of them on Raf666underground
WE EAT MUSIC... A MORBID WAY
I didn't encounter
rather negative evaluations of my blogging activity from the Polish
metal maniax. On internet forums, I rather got a positive receipt,
or at least comments are generally few.
13. Some peoples might disagree because the underground is quite "undercrowded", and so you can't really make money, but I will ask you anyway: In your opinion what are the current trends in underground metal? Which kinds of music become the most fashionable, leading to a good amount of average/ very average bands, business focusing labels and things like that... Did you notice some kinds of underground musics are more downloaded than others? (You might even have noticed a surprising evolution in the amounts of clicks for some items?). Do you think you could react and do something against this problem, as a blogmaster, or it's a too big phenomenon to be able to fight it efficiently?
times, in the underground dominating styles are death metal (In
the genre of the 80s and 90s), so-called "old school death
metal", black metal, particularly mixed with thrash or depressive
black metalÖ We also see many new bands playing the retro speed/thrash
(Particularly from South America). In each of these genres, it is
possible to find very good bands as well as very average ones. Generally
I noticed that the trend was for them to sound closer to the 80s
or 90s music, and I think there are no bands which don't have a
personal style. There is a considerable amount of crop labels,
particularly the ones releasing black metal or old school death/thrash
metal. Particularly with black metal bands who don't have a problem
to release their music.
14. Could we say your blog is representative of your metal tastes, or is it quite different since: 1-The blog is meant to support small underground bands, and so it's not always your fave records... 2-You also listen to more mainstream metal, but itís pointless to post the CDs because everyone knows these bands, or you donít want to have problems with mister $$$Ö 3-Your fave records were released before the year 2000 and so you can't upload it?(AhAh)
Generally I am trying to upload music I like, sometimes it happens some bands arenít entirely hitting my tastes, but this blog is not only for meÖ I am trying to appreciate the music, rather than only choosing ďfamousĒ bands. Therefore I rather rarely listen to mainstream metal. I want peoples to pay attention to the bands who release 100 copies of a tape rather than the ones with many thousands of CDs. Since my fascination for metal started at the end of the 80s, I adore old school sounds and generally such atmosphere. Releases from the 20th century are posted on the Raf666underground blog, Modernsoundsofdeath is a blog for archaeologists who didn't forget about the past.
15. This blog was created in march 2010. Did you notice an evolution at any level, or maybe it's not old enough to underline changes?
It is more and more visited, the number of downloads is also increasing. More and more bands are sending me their releases, both new and older ones. I also established cooperation with a few interesting peoples who are also sending me releases for the blog. Some labels are also sending me news about their new releases. Generally for these (almost) 2 years the blog developed and is going ahead.
16. What are the future plans for MODERN SOUNDS OF DEATH? You have something particular in mind, or will keep on uploading more records on a cool basis?
At the moment
the blog will remain in the current form. If some bands, zines or
labels want to promote their releases, my blog is opened for all
underground activity. Perhaps one day I will try to create a small
label, but it is a plan for the future.